- Installers install finished wood products in residential and commercial settings. They often work with Supervisors or General Managers to plan installation work, determine client needs, and review and interpret schematic diagrams for installations.
- Installers install cabinets, trim work, doors, custom millwork, and work surfaces.
Installers perform a variety of duties including:
- Pre-installation quality control inspections
- Measuring and marking for product installations
- Trimming, cutting, filling, sealing, and leveling during installations of cabinets, trim work, custom millwork, work surfaces, and doors
- Various hanging, adjusting, and fastening tasks to complete installation work
- Service and repair installations
- Provide customer service
Installers may engage in some preparatory work on the shop floor, in a manufacturer’s furniture store outlet/showroom, or on the project site. They may be on call for repair and service visits to clients’ residential and commercial establishments. As such, they may find themselves in various work settings. Installers may be required to travel and even work overtime hours at onsite projects to meet schedule deadlines. The work settings may involve fairly strenuous physical activity and therefore require physical stamina.
Personal characteristics suitable for the Installers include:
- Hand and eye coordination
- Manual dexterity
- Physical strength-capacity to bear substantial weight
- Teamwork skills
- Problem-solving skills
- Math skills
- Reading comprehension
- Attention to detail
- Ability to troubleshoot
- Creative and innovative
- Able to use power tools
- Alert and safety conscious
- Some secondary school education is usually required.
- On-the-job training and several months of related installing, repairing or servicing experience are usually required.
- A driver’s licence may be required.
Essential Skills including numeracy, working with others, document use, reading text, and thinking skills, have been identified as necessary skills for entry into this occupation.